Tuesday, December 1, 2009

A Horse’s Christmas Wish

This isn't particularly funny like the stuff I like to share but it is food for thought.

A different take on this favorite poem ---

T’was the night before Christmas, but my manger was bare,

My coat was still matted, with manure in my hair.

My thirst showed no mercy on this day of the Lord.

My stall was so filthy, manure covering the floor.

The night’s stars were brilliant, in the clear sky they shined.

Peace and love filled the world, almost all, but not mine.

Here it was bitter cold and hunger the rule.

The season’s sweet blessings weren’t shared by the cruel.

My owner was comfortable, snug in his bed.

He didn’t care that I still hadn’t been fed.

When out in the pasture, what should I hear?

But the sound of a sleigh and the hoofs of reindeer!

As I peered out the stall there arose quite a clatter.

As Santa strode in to see what was the matter.

“I heard of your suffering, even from afar.

Your owner doesn’t deserve you, the great horse that you are!”

The scowl on his face didn’t fit the old elf.

His anger had gotten him quite beside himself.

He threw open the stall door and then in a flash,

Had my rack filled with hay and my feeder with mash!

“You enjoy this,” he said as he strode to the house,

“I’m going to stir up much more than a mouse!”

As I munched I looked out to see what would occur.

Santa entered the house and he caused quite a stir!

He grabbed my owner by the back of his shirt

And pulled him to the barn, where he stopped with a jerk.

“This horse is God’s creature; he’s been placed in your care!”

Santa fairly shouted, his wrath filled the air.

“You have used and abused him, for far too long.

And what’s worse, you don’t even think that it’s wrong!”

“I’ve got your long wish list right here in my coat,”

“You want toys and gizmos, a new car and a boat!”

“But your gift from me this year is better by far

Than any new toys, or a shiny new car!”

My owner’s eyes grew wide and filled up with fear.

He seemed quite afraid of what next he would hear.

Santa took a deep breath, then said with a sigh,

“You shall switch lives with this sweet little guy!”

Then laying his finger aside of his nose

He winked at me, smiling, and then switched our roles.

I was no longer a horse, all battered and thin.

But stood on two feet, wearing a grin!

The horse in the stall neighed loudly in protest.

Santa just laughed and shook his head as he left.

I heard him exclaim as he drove out of sight,

“Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night!”

So I watered my horse, and cleaned out his stall,

Amazed that there are season’s blessings after all!

Author Unknown

No comments: